Rizal ATBP

Last February 28 and March 1, a stage play called Rizal ATBP was held at Onstage Cinema One in Ayala Center Cebu.

It tells the story of a young student named Joey, who has no interest in knowing his nation's past nor loving his country.

In a series of events, he would then go through a struggle of the heart as he seeks to answer the question of his identity.






I was glad to be able to take the chance of watching this production. I looked forward to this one as I was interested in how it's going to bring its message for its viewers to be inspired by the one known as the greatest man of the brown-skinned race.

As I was watching, there were scenes where thoughts would come to mind. When I think about the Rizal history class, I thought about the sad reality of him not being taken seriously. We're supposed to appreciate him for what he has given to the country, but we just see him as a subject requirement to take for graduation.

But what keeps the light of hope is Joey as we can see his journey of learning to appreciate Rizal, thanks to his classmate-tutor Marie. Through her, he was able to look up to him as an inspiration. It is heart-wrenching at first, but fulfilling in the end.

And when I think about the scenes of Rizal's life, I can see how he made his life fulfilling. I am awed that he learned what it means to love his country at a young age. He wanted to prove that the Filipinos are not inferior people, but great people with a glorious past. This is why he learned all that he could and used them to do what he could for the country, even if it meant giving up his own life.

With all the extraordinary things he made, he's just an ordinary person like us. He dared to dream big things for the country. He chose to pursue the long road no matter what it took and where it led him, and that's what makes him great. And I admire him for that.



If there is a part of the play that I liked, it's the one where Joey encountered Rizal. Watching this makes me think of ideal conversations with him. I would love to meet him if given a chance. And I find this to be a hope-restoring scene. If Rizal were alive today, I'm sure it's the same advice he gave to Joey. The battle we need to fight today is the same one that he fought.

I now think of my learnings of Rizal. Through the play, and I appreciate it even more. I can see now that he is someone we can be proud of. It's now up to us on how we can secure the country for the next generations to come.

All of the song and dance numbers were able to fit the mood of their respective scenes. There were well-acted scenes that gave a good grip to the audience. The actors have portrayed their roles well, and I found several who were able to portray convincingly. And most importantly, it was able to inspire in one way to its audiences. Overall, I find this to be a good one.

Comments