Southern Leyte Vacation

When school ends and summer break starts, it's nice to unwind from all the work done. And it would be nice if it's spent in the province.

In the city, it's a noisy and crowded environment. It's where one lives a hectic lifestyle. But in the province, it's clean and peaceful. Here, one can live simply.




We would usually spend our vacation in Southern Leyte. It's where my grandparents live, together with one of my uncles and his family. Together with relatives, we would be there when Holy Week starts.

I always looked forward to these ones. It's where all of us could be together at a time like this. There would be a day where the house was filled with a lot of chatter and unwinding activities. At most times, we would spend on the beach. I would swim in the sea as much as I could, and I wouldn't care if my skin became dark for that.

But I felt sad when the week finished. It was time to go back to life's daily routines. While they returned, my sister and I remained to spend our vacation until school comes again.



I had built up memories throughout the stay. I remember how the house used to have a bakery. I loved how their pieces of bread tasted, and how they wouldn't be compared to any other made. It also used to have a place for billiards. I would look with eyes wide open when one would aim with their cue stick at the ball, and watch where the balls went. When evening came, the movie house would be open. I would be with my grandmother at times to watch over people who would come to see the movie. I would eat the candies placed while I was watching it. 

I also remember visiting the Old Port across the house. I loved its view at any time of the day. When it's early morning, there was the sunrise and the clear seas. When it's afternoon, the seas would give that fine view even if it was about to approach night. Either of those times, I would swim there with my sister and younger cousins.

When it's early evening, it had that perfect night view. The moon would shine brightly with the calm sea. There would be flames from lamps shining brightly in fishermen's boats. When the seas would roar during the high tide, they still had that wonderful crystal-clear view. I would get that warm feeling when the wind started to be strong and cold.

I also remember how I spent my afternoons. I would go to the plaza to play with my sister, younger cousins, and some friends. I shared some moments with them and had fun. I would also bike around the town I stayed at. I loved everything I saw as I drove it. And it gave me a bit of that thrill.



With the many vacations I had on the place, they became memorable to me. Now, things have changed. There used to be a lot of people who would come for vacation. But there are only a few now. I used to have all the time to visit there. But now I have a few. If I could turn back time, I would go back to those days where I should have spent my time well.

But I'm taking every chance now to go back to the place that marked a part of my childhood. I'm going to make the most of the time I have while I'm there. And I'll make sure that I can make more memorable moments with them while they're still around. 

Comments