Waiting Area

Four people gathered together while waiting for the school bus. One of its tires needed to be replaced, so it would take some time before they can be taken home.

While waiting, Ben noticed a paper and picked it up. It was an L-shaped hand in the forehead of a person's drawing.
"Hey!" shouted Clark as he grabbed the paper from Ben.
"It's okay. I have one, too.", answered Ben. He took his crumpled paper from his pocket and gave it to Clark.

When Clark saw it, he paused for a bit and said to Ben, "Sorry about that. What did they tag you for?"
"For being too mean.", answered Ben, "And you?"
"For being too goody-two-shoes.", answered Clark.
"Well, what's new?" said Karen, "To them, we don't fit in."
"So... is that your tag?" asked Clark.
"All the time!" answered Lucia, "That's why they ignore you even more."
"Oh, stop it!" said Karen, "They ignore you even more for trying to be perfect."
"Stop this!" said Ben.
Then came a few seconds of silence.

 

"I know we don't get to talk to each other often.", said Ben, "But since we have a common ground, why don't we let out everything we're going through?"
"And what comes next? To be judged after?" replied Lucia.
"No, thanks." answered Karen, "I can handle myself."
"I think Ben's right.", said Clark, "What we're feeling right now isn't any different from others. Many needed someone to listen to their burden, but they couldn't find anyone. The thought of it is lonely and depressing, and it's hard to carry the pain by ourselves. Some who couldn't bear it anymore took their own lives. We're still here because of our hopes and dreams. And our struggles now shouldn't hinder us for being human as we are."
The girls then started to soften out.

 

"I'm not the type that talks.", said Karen, "But I'm game. This better not get outside this area or else..."
"It's okay, Karen.", said Lucia, "They're genuine. I can tell."
"You can trust us. We promise.", said Ben.
Karen then nodded.
"I can be mean as what you see, but I'm actually not.", said Ben, "I'm easy to get along, but I struggle with those hard to like. Even though I'm nice to others, I get wrongly judged. This happens every day, and it makes me mad. So each time I see someone who's weird, mean, or annoying, I give them the pain I feel. They don't deserve my respect."

 

"I'm sorry for the times I became mean to you.", said Karen, "Our meat shop just prospered. And I thought it would make us happier as a family after we overcome our hardships. But it didn't. They were so busy, we wouldn't talk like before. There was a time I wanted to talk to my best friend in the next house. But then I learned she died from a car crash. I felt lost and alone, and I desperately needed someone to talk to. I had to look for a group where I can fit in, and I did. I thought they were the right one, but they weren't. I got myself into alcohol and shoplifting. When I was sent to the police station, these 'friends' weren't there. And from that day, I decided not to trust people again. I would stay away from them as much as possible."

 

"Not all are like that.", said Lucia, "I always hope that people will change one day. It's no secret that I was fat in preschool, and you all teased me for that. I was so insecure that I wanted to be lean, and I did. What motivated me was my dream to be a pop-rock superstar. But I still wonder why people are still mad at me. If I don't eat anymore, what's the matter? You're telling me that I act differently. I become more irritable. I keep people from a distance, and you're all concerned about me. What's wrong with what I'm doing?"

 

"I hope you don't get mad at me, Lucia.", said Ben, "But you're already starting to hurt yourself with that. I had a cousin who experienced what you're going through. She did what she did, and it was already starting to control her.  We were so worried until we found out about her issues of being unloved and uncared for. We made her feel that we truly love her. We're the first to love her no matter what happens."
Lucia then became silent.


"I know you're a kind person, Lucia.", said Clark, "I know how depressing the outside world can be. But I'm here to be a friend to you. I won't judge you for anything. I'm here to listen and care for you."
"Me, too.", added Ben, "I'm truly sorry for judging you all wrongly. I'm learning to be more understanding of others. That's why I also volunteer to be a true friend."
Lucia started to shed tears and then shared a hug with the boys.

 

Karen then became silent and said, "I can really feel your sincerity. But I'm struggling to trust people again."
"We'll be here for you.", said Lucia, "We'll help you and become your real friends."
She started crying a bit, and then said to Clark, "Your pure-heartedness isn't that bad at all."

 

"I still struggle with it, though.", said Clark. "I still feel pressured with the expectations of others. I still fear being scolded for a mistake. I tend to be hard at myself. Now, it makes me remember all my anxiousness, my mood swings, my extreme thoughts, and my quarrels I experienced."
"We're all human.", said Karen, "We can only learn and move forward. And I'm willing to be a friend to help you with that. And so with all of you."
Everyone then shared a warm embrace.

 

"I'm just glad we found each other.", said Lucia.
"I know this new friendship is quite unusual. But let's not mind what other people say.", said Karen.
"We know who we truly are. So let's stick to that.", said Ben.
"Let's stand up and show that we can get through this.", said Clark.
Not long after, the school bus came. And they all went inside happy and calm.

Comments