Old Soul

Dan was reading social media posts on his phone until he was greeted by a young college student named Noreen.

"You're so early.", said Dan.
"I need to now.", replied Noreen, "There are songs I need to master with."

As Noreen sat down, she said to Dan, "Kuya, I see that you're one of those whom people follow as an example. And you're notably different from the rest of them."
"That's fine with me.", said Dan.

"Isn't it lonely when you're always alone?" asked Noreen.
"A bit.", answered Dan.
"You don't like being with other people?" asked Noreen.
"It's not that.", replied Dan, "I'm not anti-social as they say. I like connecting to anyone. I just choose who I talk to."

"Who do you usually go?" asked Noreen.
"I usually go to those older than me. I feel more comfortable, and I learn more.", said Dan.
"But wouldn't it be nice to hang out with those your age? You can be on the same wavelength to understand how you feel at a certain moment.", said Noreen.
"That would've been nice.", said Dan, "But I don't think they like being with me."
"Do they think of you as weird?" asked Noreen.
"I don't know.", said Dan.
"But I don't think of you that way.", said Noreen, "You look like a person who's interesting in your own way."
"Really? What makes you say that?" asked Dan.


Noreen explained, "You always go through the intellectual side of things, and you explain them clearly and insightfully. You're faith-driven and sensitive to things around you. You always think of life and its realities. You always act on what works best. That's why I admire you."
"Oh... thanks for that.", said Dan, "But you know that my thoughts are mostly unpopular. Many wouldn't understand, and they'd criticize me for that."
"It must've been difficult on your part.", said Noreen.
"But I don't regret anything.", said Dan, "I'm at peace with where I am right now."
There was silence for a few seconds.

"You know sometimes, I feel like I want to act and think my age.", said Noreen, "I always feel different from the rest. Though I want to go with them, I like being with myself more."
"I feel you.", said Dan.
"And you know that feeling when you feel more responsible than the rest?" continued Noreen. "When people ask me for advice, I give them. But they don't take it. They think I'm like their parents."
"Let them be.", said Dan.
"And you know that feeling when you don't like going out with people just for the sake of it?" asked Noreen. "I want to go out for a good reason. Actually, I want to do things for a valid reason."
"That's normal.", said Dan.


"But do you know what's good with that?" continued Dan, "We don't see ourselves to be unnecessarily stressed."
"Good point.", said Noreen, "We like being calm in everything."
"And I think it wouldn't be complete if we agree that we hold more dearly to the classics.", said Dan.
Both laughed as they were able to find common ground with each other.

"I'm actually game with doing the latest crazes.", said Noreen, "But there are times that you need to appreciate what was then. They helped influence what we have now."
"The best ones from there will truly last.", said Dan, "That's why I still go for Popeye, Tom & Jerry, and The Flintstones."
Noreen added, "The Jetsons, Looney Tunes, and Yogi Bear."
Dan continued, "And maybe Pinocchio, Dumbo, and 101 Dalmatians."
Noreen replied, "Bambi, The Jungle Book."
Dan replied, "Pac-Man, Tetris, and we can name many more."
"Whew! So much for that.", said Noreen.
"But it was good recalling them.", said Dan, "It doesn't matter if I'll be called a Tito for this. I still see these ones as the best."
"But let's continue to be open to all things new.", said Noreen.

Dan nodded and continued, "You know, I'll tell you something. Whatever you do, don't forget to be yourself. Don't let anyone try to ruin you for having such a good heart.  Always keep your balance of things. And whenever you feel down, you can always talk to me, here or online."
"You really do have a good heart.", Noreen said as she was about to shed some tears.
"Remember that you're unique. Don't let any dislike bring you down from who you really are.", Dan said.
"You know, Kuya, you're a blessing to me.", said Noreen, "You're an inspiration for how you live your life. I know you've been through a lot. But never forget that we love you for who you are."
It was the first time Dan was acknowledged. And he couldn't hold back his emotions after hearing that. He shed some tears and said, "Just remember what I said and keep moving forward. I got your back."
"Thanks, Kuya.", said Noreen, "We love you."

And not long after that, Noreen's fellow singers came.
"We brought food from this morning's event. Let's have a feast.", said one singer.
"Sure thing.", said Noreen.
"Let's go practice now.", said another singer.
Everybody then went to the room to start the practice.

Comments