Retreat House

It was afternoon. Rachel came back to a familiar place and heard a familiar voice. It was the voice of Miss Clarisse, the caretaker of the Retreat House. Miss Clarisse was happy to see Rachel again after a decade. She saw Rachel, a successful grown-up but still humble. She invited Rachel to come in, and Rachel agreed.

So both of them entered, and Rachel was astonished to see the things in the house that seemingly never changed from the first time she saw them.

"Why don't you take them to relive all of these?" asked Miss Clarisse, "I'm going to get something first."
"Sure thing, Miss Clarisse. Thank you.", Rachel replied.
As Miss Clarisse left, Rachel toured around the house and saw a few things.

She saw a drawing of her personal timeline - her life story and her goals of becoming a doctor. She also saw a box containing the many letters she wrote for her loved ones. She turned emotional as they read the words they wrote before. She also saw her handmade pendant necklace. She knew that it brought sentimental value to her.
 
“Snacks are ready now. Let’s go down, and we have a lot to talk about.”, Miss Clarisse said.
So they went down, and they talked about the happenings in their lives for a long time passed.

"I'm sure you remember much about that necklace.", said Miss Clarisse.
"Yes, and it was a tough time for me.", said Rachel.

Ten years ago, Rachel had these thoughts in mind:
"Renovation... a major repair or overhaul of something that already exists... to make new again... rebirth..."
"This so-called renovation of the heart... The transformation of the spirit..."
"Like a building with damaged and outdated parts that need improvement... The planning, engineering, rebuilding, finishes..." 
"How can this work with the mess inside me?"
"With this ideal end in mind, I'll probably work my whole life for it."
"Trust the process, as they say... Why not in a rush?"


"Are you okay there, Rachel?" asked Miss Clarisse. "You look engrossed."
"Just thinking about the message you gave.", answered Rachel.
Miss Clarisse then sat beside her.

"It's been three weeks since I did self-inventory.", said Rachel, "Oh, what to do with a lot of work to be done!"
"You're actually doing well.", said Miss Clarisse, "You're becoming less judgmental, less condescending, and less hypocritical. You're stronger and more enduring now. Keep that up! One day at a time."

"I know it's not easy to go through a difficult situation.", said Rachel, "But how do you keep such a positive mindset?"
"You have to live life like a coal of fire.", said Miss Clarisse, "All the hurt you feel can make you a better person if you learn to take it."
Rachel started listening to Miss Clarisse.


"Being a big sister to my half-siblings is crazy. Despite different personalities, I choose to love them. I love them without any labels. Surely, my parents made the mistake of being unfaithful to each other. I blamed the whole world for everything. But I had to fight. I had to face it and do what I can to make things alright."

"I remember the time I was greatly sick. I felt the symptoms. When I asked my family about it, they said it was a simple body pain. They told me to rest a lot, eat a lot, and not to stress myself often. I obeyed, and I realized a lot of things eventually."

"I had to completely let go of the emotional pain I felt from my parents. I recalled those days of depression. Good thing my siblings helped me overcome it. I then found the courage to visit my parents and give them my forgiveness. And it was a joyous moment for all of us."

"After a few days, the disease was gone. The doctors said it was a miracle. And that's when I knew about my sickness after I recovered."

Rachel's eyes started to tear up after hearing those words.


"Sometimes, life treats us unfairly even though we haven't done anything wrong.", continued Miss Clarisse, "We ask why, but there's no answer. That's the answer at times. We can cry out for that. And no matter how much we rage, the good in us will always win. Only that power can move us to seek the peace we need today."

"I know they haven't been good friends to you ever since. One day, they'll realize their mistakes. They'll want to make up with you for what they did."

"But what I want you to do now is to forgive them, and focus on yourself. Always remember that you're unique."

Miss Clarisse took something in her pocket and gave a pendant necklace to Rachel. "I hope this reminds you that you can be more valuable as you make yourself better every day. You can grow yourself so that you can make the world a better place."


As Rachel remembered that moment, she now had only words of gratitude for Miss Clarisse.
"I wouldn't be what I am right now if it weren't for your encouragement.", said Rachel, "Thank you so much."
"That's why I called you here because I want to ask you something.", said Miss Clarisse. "Is it okay if you can help me run the Retreat House?"
"It's quite tough, Miss Clarisse.", said Rachel, "But if you can show me how, then I'd be more than willing. I want to give back."
"Thank you so much, Rachel.", said Miss Clarisse, "This means a lot."

And they continued to talk for the rest of the afternoon.

Comments