Teacher's Heart

Leah just finished preparing dinner for her family until she received a phone call from her best friend, Maggie. Maggie informed Leah that their teacher, Hannah Sibulan, was battling an illness.

Leah was surprised to hear the news. She asked Maggie for the details and took note of them.

The next day, Leah went to the hospital where her teacher was confined. She found the room, knocked on the door, and opened it. She saw Maggie, watching over her while their teacher was asleep.

"How's she now?" asked Leah.
"She's slowly recovering.", said Maggie.
"I hope she gets well soon.", said Leah, "I want her to continue inspiring students like what she did to me. She always encourages me to be at my best. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't become the professional I've become now."
"And you were one of her unforgettable students.", said Maggie.
"Even you are.", replied Leah, "But you know, Miss Hannah's a pretty and nice teacher. I like the way she teaches. She teaches with bliss and excitement so that we could easily learn her lessons."

Leah continued, "Because of that, I dreamed of becoming like her one day. So after school, I would play teacher with my stuffed toys. I would write on the wall with my crayons and use the meterstick to discuss to them."
"But she was a strict disciplinarian.", Maggie added, "She wants all instructions to be followed, or we would be reprimanded. I got scolded once."
"Me, too.", said Leah, "One time, I went to the restroom on recess time. I released my anger in front of a mirror and cried. I was hurt for what she did because I admired her a lot. After that, I wiped my tears and prepared myself to go out until I saw Miss Hannah. I was afraid of what she would say. But she spoke to me gently. She explained her actions to me, and that's where I understood."
"She has a tough love for the people she loves the most.", responded Maggie, "She's like that as a mother."

"Apart from being my teacher, she was one of my life coaches.", continued Leah, "She helped me at those times when life gave me lemons. As a result, I gave it lemonade, and my performance in school improved."
"She really wants us to learn to win in life.", said Maggie.
"I agree.", said Leah, "I remember the time I was preparing for college. Miss Hannah asked me about my future profession. I told her of my teaching dream and how she became my model for the profession. She was more than happy to know it and encouraged me along the way."
"I then told her about my problem. My parents didn't approve of it. They wanted me to work on my father's business. I need to take his place when he retires. I told her how much I objected to their plans. But she told me to listen to them, for I need to help them one day."
"She then told me, 'You don't need to be a teacher to inspire others. You can be anyone, as long as you have a heart for others. You work with love, passion, and excellence so that they can do the same. It's one of the little ways you can make a difference.' "
"I cried with what she said. I knew what made her the teacher I look up to. So I finished college and worked with my dad. I was given opportunities to mentor our employees. The next thing I knew, the employees learned a lot, and the company gained great revenue."


"I'm happy for you.", said Maggie. "As for me, I'm following my mom's footsteps. She wants to continue the legacy of molding better individuals. She would always remind me to teach my students to read. Reading makes a full man, as per Francis Bacon. She would also remind me to teach them to make the most in class. They should excel in class, not because of grades. They should excel because they're learning."
"Learning shouldn't only be in the four walls of the classroom.", said Leah, "They can learn anywhere as long as they have an inquisitive mind and a teachable heart."
"Exactly as what she would say.", said Maggie, "This made me realize how each one is intelligent in different ways. There's no such thing as a dumb person. It must have taken a lot of patience for Mom for all of us."
"And everything we learned from her is what we need in life.", said Leah, "That's why she gets mad when we procrastinate for homework. She's very particular with punctuality and time management. She doesn't want to see anyone of us cheating."
"And not to forget, she ensures us to have good virtue always.", said Maggie.

"I hope we all understand the value of education.", said Leah, "It still holds true that it's more important than any wealth in the world. It can still open doors for learning, knowledge, and contribution to a better world."
"Let's make a pact that we take every teaching opportunity that comes our way.", said Maggie, "We'll continue until our last breath."
Leah agreed, and Maggie saw her mother awake from her sleep. She told Leah to be at her mother's bedside so that she can see her.
"It's nice to see you again.", said Hannah.
The three then had a warm heart talk.

Comments