Cold Night

“Light by faith, warmth by love, radiance by purity, righteousness by justice, belief by truth, life from above.”

“You’re not sleeping yet, Tyler?” asked Leena.

“I’m about to, Mom,” answered Tyler as he climbed to his bed.

“You seem to be praying those words every night.”, Leena remarked as she approached her son.

"I remember you saying those to me when you used to put me to sleep.", said Tyler. “And little did I know that these will help me as I go through life.”

Leena smiled and then said, "You're going to see your Dad tomorrow. How do you feel?"

"I’m a bit nervous.", responded Tyler, “I hope he’s okay.”

“Your dad is a great man.”, answered Leena, “He’ll be delighted to see his beloved son.”

Tyler smiled and then said to his mother, "You know, I see you differently than the moms of my classmates.”

“What makes you say so?” asked Leena.

"You’re the only Mom I know who’s callous. But it’s okay with me. I feel a bit scared sometimes. But I understand that you're doing it because you love me, right?"

"I know moms have to be gentle towards their kids. But sometimes, they have to be tough. They need to teach their kids to stand up in life so that they can face good or bad well."

"You know, I'm learning to be strong. I have many classmates quarreling with me. But I know now when to answer them back or not."

"That's good. I'm glad you did what I taught you."

"How did you manage to become a strong person, Mom?"

To this, Leena started to recall.

"I was always strong when I was a little girl. Whenever there are difficult problems, I dealt with them well. My strength would then be put to the test when I met your Dad. He was my classmate in high school, and he was a bully. He was mean and hurtful with whatever he says and does. And I was one of those he picked on. When I couldn’t take him anymore, I shouted at him and said to him all the mean and hurtful words so that he would stop. And he didn’t bother me or anyone after that.”

“There was a time he became my seatmate. I was scared of him at first. But I saw him change. He became nice to me, and we became fast friends. We then became closer, and we even entered college together.”

“It took a while for me to see myself in love with him. Aside from his good heart, he's also attractive. There came a time when he professed his love for me. I was surprised because he chose me among all the girls who showed their love for him. It took me a few days to say 'Yes' to be his girlfriend.”

"After we graduated, he became hunkier and more handsome. He became a better person. He focused on building our future. And when we married, we couldn't be happier. And then, you came into our lives. But I didn't know what to expect next."

"He hooked himself up in gambling. It came to a point where we didn't have anything left in the house. We had to pay his very huge debt. So I separated with him, and I took you along with your grandma."

"I then felt depressed. I didn't care about anything around me. I acted at my worst. I made bad habits. I said mean words. It became too much that your grandma had to stop me. I remember one cold night where she came to comfort me. She taught me the prayer you’re praying now. She also reminded me to fight and overcome my struggles. So I took that step. And it wasn't easy. I had to stand on my own. I worked a lot of jobs to make ends meet and to pay the debt your Dad made. And thankfully, I was able to do that."

"I remember the time I brought you to your Dad in prison. And I can remember that look of remorse when he saw both of us. When he started to apologize, I remember all the pain and anger. But what reminded me was that prayer, and it was then that I forgave him.”

“He had his flaws. But he was a dad who loved you so much. A few days later, I received a letter saying that I got a portion of his Savings Account. So I decided to use the money to start a business and be where we at now. "

It was there that Tyler understood the story that shaped his mother's upbringing to him.

"You know, Mom. You're an example of great love and strength. I'm sorry for all the times I have answered you back. For all my mistakes you pointed out, even though I hate to hear them. For all the times you said No to all the things that can harm me. I now realize that they’re for my good."

"But because of you, I became confident in myself. I can face anything that comes my way. And I learn how to respect others and myself. It's what I need now every day. And I'm thankful to do this. Thank you for everything. I love you."

Leena smiled as she received her son’s embrace and then said, "Always remember. I'll be here to support your dreams or anything you want to do in life."

And they continued to embrace. Tyler then asked, “Are you okay seeing Dad right now?”

“Yes, I am,” answered Leena, “Your Dad is doing great. He’s ready to go. And I’m just glad you’ll get to meet him.”

Tyler nodded and responded, “So I’ll see you both by tomorrow then.”

“Go rest now,” said Leena, “The cold weather’s fine for a good sleep.”

And both of them readied themselves to sleep in the cold night.

Comments