Next Flight

February 22, 2022 – One of the unforgettable days of my life

One of my family members passed on. And with all the people I've met who have reached this point, this one's different. This one's beloved, and it strikes a chord inside.

I now take this time to pay tribute to this beloved one. This beloved one is no other than my grandmother.


Her life pictured me how I could embody myself as a grandparent. She was loving and caring to her children and grandchildren. She was humorous at times. She disciplined us if needed and didn't lack in teaching lessons we needed to learn. She also embodied hard work and piety. And most importantly, she was a balance of strength and kindness. It was her fighting spirit when facing life's situations.

If there was a legacy of the life that she left, it was a legacy of love. She didn't want anyone to quarrel or fight but to love one another. It may be simple, but I find this strong because she embodied it herself.

I don't usually cry. But when I learned of the news, I felt a little uncomfortable. I knew things would be different from that day on. But seeing her all my life, this change felt unusual. Our family gatherings are never the same. We still miss her. We're happy that she's now in a better place. She can reunite with the people she missed the most while on Earth. For us bereaved, we're hopeful for the day we meet her again.


Death. It's inevitable for us who are still going through the sufferings and difficulties of this world.

I used to be afraid of it before. I thought that it would be the end of the road for me. But now, I know there's life in store for me after. I have the salvation I need to get into that future reality.

There's mourning for that loss, but there's also celebration. It's a celebration and honor of a life we remember dearly.


Death. It's the least-prepared-for event in all of human existence.

Do we have a perspective on it? If so, how do we see it? Does it impact the way we live our lives? Knowing we don't know when our time here on Earth will end, how do we live our lives?

Everyone indeed dies, but not everyone lives. It takes a surprising death sometimes to remind us of life's fragility. But with my faith, I'm assured that life on Earth is a preparation for the next world. It's the next flight to that world. And in that world, we'll be transformed and become new beings. We've crossed over from death to life. And it's possible because of our Creator, the Creator of this Universe. No more death nor sorrow nor crying nor pain. It's a new, beautiful world.

When the time comes that our bodies fail us, our spirits are set free. They will continue to grow in holiness, happiness, and glory in eternity. Whatever we may do in the new world, it will be joyous. 


When we reach that point, we start to look back at the life we lived and the value it has produced. What has been our life's value? What should our life's value be?

It holds that life's value is not our possessions or positions but who we are. So, what do we choose to become who we are?

We can choose to become either our fallen nature or our godlike nature. The fallen nature prompts us to be manipulative, deceitful, cunning, vengeful, sly, mischievous, hostile, or selfish. The godlike nature, however, encourages us to be kind, just, truthful, generous, pure, self-sacrificing, forgiving, radiant, and peace-loving. So, which of these do we choose to rule our hearts? 


What we choose determines the course of our life. And, sadly, realizations sometimes come on our deathbeds. We regret things we could have done better. We could have courageously lived lives true to ourselves, not to the expectations of others. We should have stayed in touch with our family or friends. We could have let ourselves be happy. And all other things.

No matter our standing in this world, we're all just passing through. We don't bring anything we have here in the next life. All of us will end up in the same type of coffin or urn. When everything ends, all that matters is the assessment of our lives.

With these in mind, what should our focus be? Our focus is to live a life that matters most. We make ourselves rich with things that last eternally. Our soul is rich to grow increasingly healthy and good. Our relationships are rich in that we can love and enjoy the people around us. Our hands are rich to become generous with what we own and to learn about our gifts and passions to multiply the good work that started. What is temporary becomes the servant of that which is eternal.


I still miss her now. When I see people interacting with their grandmothers, I get those feelings. It makes me see how having a grandmother is an opportunity. The more loving she is, the more valuable it becomes. It may sound cliché, but it's true that while you still have time with the people around you who love you, spend time with them well. Give them the love they can have, and you won't regret it later.


How we face death is determined by how we have been living our lives. So, while we're still alive, how do we make the most of the time we have left? How do we end right in living our lives?

For me, the people I've met have lived lives remarkably full of love and good bearing, coupled with the uniqueness found in their identities. And hopefully, we can do the same. It's a life worth valuing and remembering.

Comments