Middle Ground

Josie went to her brother Keir's bedroom and decided to talk to him to take a breather from the workload she experienced.

They talked about recent happenings of their common friends: new business ventures, parenting journeys, romantic relationships, and other things.

"Well, it's theirs.", remarked Josie.
"We just do what we do now. And when it comes, we take it.", said Keir.

Keir finished typing and then faced Josie, who sat in his bed which was beside him.

"Are you hanging out with your friends tonight?" asked Keir.
"No.", answered Josie, "I'm tired. I just want to sleep."

Keir went to his laptop as he received a chat message from his workmate and responded to it.

"You don't have a lot of connections. That's why you're always at home.", said Josie.
"I may not have a lot, but at least my personality is real.", said Keir, "Connections are needed, as well as a sense of humor, which some people take as a big personality."
"But we don't get either one of them.", said Josie, "You need to have a balance of these."

"You know, as I think of our connections, I would admit comparing ourselves to them.", said Keir.
"Then, be contented with what you have.", said Josie.
"I know that.", said Keir, "You don't need to overemphasize."
"I'm just saying.", said Josie.
"But anyway, they do have a sense of exclusivity.", said Keir, "It can be too much. Inclusivity is the other side of the coin."
"It's actually okay to have both.", said Josie, "But in the middle of it all is self-sufficiency. We need to work for our own success, being self-made. At least we learn something."

"This means we do the hustle with the money.", said Keir.
"It's a balance of being spent and being managed like our situation now.", said Josie.
"Let's hope to invest in the future.", said Keir, "So that we can do as much as we can with the money we have."

Keir took a pause and continued, "In everything we do, we make use of time. For it's all we've got."
"We do live it in the moment.", said Josie.
"But sometimes, we need to live for the future.", said Keir, "That's where our hustle is at. Someday, we can use the time to do whatever we want."

"Success and money become our motivation. And, as I said earlier, we strive to become self-made. That's where our learning is pushed.", said Josie.
"Learning can sometimes be abstract.", said Keir, "But for me, if there are things that can be simplified to understand better, we do it. Who knows what we can get from there?"
"In what we do, we learn whatever's given to us.", said Josie, "And it's better that we're happy in learning. It's a gateway to build connections and maintain them."

"Sounds like you're fired up.", remarked Keir, "This must be due to your start-up venture."
"I've been into lots of negotiation and networking lately for potential partners for the start-up.", said Josie, "A lot of formal language in my head. I really wanted to go out tonight to speak the casual language in me. But maybe next time."

"How's your start-up doing?" asked Keir, "Looks stable as I see it."
"It's tiring as well, most especially with conceptualizing the food.", said Josie, "I'm thinking of quantity at times just to sell out. But presentation matters as well to target customers."
Josie paused and said, "I'll take the best of both. After all, it's quality that matters."

"Looks like you're doing well. You have the heart of your business.", said Keir.
"But I admire you so much.", said Josie, "You took a lot of jobs just to keep us afloat. Dad continues to hustle even though we advise him to rest. Mom retired but continues to hustle."
"I want them to rest.", said Keir, "But if it keeps them from moving, why should I stop them?"

"It reminds me of Dad, who brings the fun into the house.", said Josie.
"Dad is our final verdict.", said Keir, "Sometimes, it's Mom."
"It's all about the petty things that Dad doesn't really care about, but Mom does.", said Josie.
"But you know how Dad is. He has his antics.", said Keir.
They laughed and recalled moments of their father's antics.

"I'm glad that it's a loving one.", said Keir, "With or without the money."
"Yeah.", said Josie, "I'm glad we all contribute in one way."
"But it'll come to a point where whoever is the reliable one will sustain the family.", said Keir.
"Agree to that.", said Josie, "But I like this so far. We do what we do."


Both paused.
"Life ... it pushes us to succeed.", said Keir, "Financial and social matters can raise the bar."
"In the end, it's an achievement that matters.", said Josie, "At least for us. We do have our relationship that matters. But at the end of the day, it's what we are that's the main point of all." 

"I don't want to let fate dictate what I can become.", continued Josie.
"Not even expectations.", said Keir.
"Not all of them.", said Josie, "Some are because it's needed."
"At the end of the day, it's our choices that matter.", said Keir.

"So, while we're at this, we better keep an attractive disposition.", said Josie, "No rudeness. No negative attitude, most especially you."
"And you..." replied Keir, "No being too self-absorbed. No controlling or possessive."
"And you..." responded Josie, "No being judgmental. No playing victim. No being close-minded."
"And I can name more.", said Keir.
"You being superficial, know-it-all, a bad listener, and most especially boring.", said Josie.
"And you, for taking gossip..." said Keir.
"You being needy, entitled, destructive, and having a bad temper.". said Josie.
"You're lying over there.", said Keir.
"No, I'm not lying.", said Josie, "And you, you have bad hygiene."
"Hey, you still have work to do, right?" said Keir.

"Both of you. Don't quarrel over there.", said their mother, who heard the conversation.
"We're not quarreling, Mom.", said Keir, "We're just teasing one another."

Then, they stared at each other jokingly.
"You better change your ugly sides.", said Josie.
"Same goes for you.", said Keir.

Then, a phone rang.
"Looks like my boss is calling me even on my day off. Have to go.", said Josie and then left the room.

Keir sighed and silently said, "People like my sister these days."
And he continued checking his email. He then had a thought of their conversation. It made him aspire to dream big and think long to sustain his family for life. He felt fueled as he continued working.

Comments